Open for in-person Instruction!
CISL Career English Program
Practice and improve your English in a work environment and gain valuable business skills in the process! With CISL’s Career English Program, students attend six weeks of CISL English courses to perfect their English skills, then experience 6-8 weeks with an American company that matches the student’s background and work experience.* Working closely with Americans in a business setting allows students the opportunity to improve their English skills in a real work environment, form relationships with colleagues, and gain an understanding of American business practices.
- The Arts Banking/Financial
- Event Planning
- Information Technology/Computers
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Public Relations
- Travel and Tourism
The Career English Program consists of:
- 6+ weeks of ANY English class followed by 6-8 weeks practicing English in a company
* The primary goal of the Career English Program is to improve the student’s English skills in the work setting. Placement in specific companies or fields is not guaranteed.
Students complete a minimum of 6 weeks of any CISL course before being placed in American company for 6 to 8 weeks. Career English students focus solely on their host company after 6 weeks of CISL classes have been completed.
The program includes:
- A minimum of 6 weeks of any CISL English course*
- 6 to 8 weeks at an American company (after 6 weeks of CISL classes are completed)*
- Resume and cover letter building workshops and interview preparation
- Supervision by the CISL Career English Coordinator
- CISL Career English Program certificate (upon program completion)
*An “early placement” option is available for students eager to spend more time with their host company. For early placement, students must work with the Career English Coordinator prior to their arrival. Contact the Career English Coordinator for more information.
To qualify for the Career English Program, students must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have an English proficiency level of at least B1
- Enroll in a minimum of 6 weeks CISL courses (specific course is the student’s choice)
- Provide course tuition + Career English Fee
- Possess at least one year of experience or education in the desired field
- Commit to the hours required by their host company Program Details
Students select and enroll in a CISL English program that best fits their language needs. For the first 6 weeks, students attend courses (Monday-Friday, 9 am to 12:40 pm) and build the speaking, writing, and communication skills necessary to prepare them for a professional work setting.
During this time, students communicate frequently with the CISL Career English Coordinator and also attend interviews in order to secure placement in an American business.
Students spend 20 to 40 hours per week at their host company, where they learn business practices and business etiquette while employing English skills learned in the CISL classroom. Throughout their time at the company, students remain in contact with the CISL Career English Coordinator. Once the program is completed, the Career English Coordinator provides the student with an official CISL letter of recommendation.