CISL Standard English Courses in San Diego & San Francisco
The goal of the Standard English Course is to help students use English with accuracy and confidence. Students improve their general English language skills and, just as importantly, they learn how to be better communicators, how to use English in different situations, how to interact with people from different cultures, and how to be better language learners.
improve skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
LANGUAGE KNOWLEDGE AND ACCURACY
learn, practice, and review English grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary
develop cultural awareness and understanding
examine different cultures’ communication styles and be sensitive to these differences; become a better intercultural communicator
ENGLISH IN USE
learn conventional expressions, idioms, and phrases – and when to use them
- Multiple Levels: students are placed in a level based on the CISL placement exam; students can progress from one level to the next after they show a mastery of the level’s student learning outcomes (see more details in the course descriptions below).
- Student Assessment: students are frequently assessed and receive reports on their progress.
- Teacher Feedback: students receive frequent feedback from their instructors.
- Small Classes: the maximum class size in the Standard Course is 8 students, so students get a lot of personal attention and feel comfortable in a small group
- Practical Projects and Presentations: students apply their language skills and get practice using English by doing interesting projects and presentations.
|Standard English Course|
|Levels||Basic (A1) to Advanced (C2)|
|Maximum # of students per class||8|
|Lessons per week||20|
|Schedule||Monday‐Friday from 9:00 a.m. ‐ 10:40 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. ‐ 12:40 p.m.|
|Course length||Minimum length is 2 weeks|
|Language focus||General English|
Students who enroll in the Standard Course can also enroll in…
- English in Use (Monday‐Thursday 1:30 p.m. ‐ 3:10 p.m.) ‐ San Francisco only
- Conversational English (Monday‐Thursday 1:30 p.m. ‐ 3:10 p.m.) ‐ San Diego only
- Business English (Monday‐Thursday 1:30 p.m. ‐ 3:10 p.m.)
- English for Academic Purposes (Monday‐Thursday 1:30 p.m. ‐ 3:10 p.m.)
- Private Lessons (flexible times)
- *FREE* Study Hall (one day per week 1:30 p.m. ‐ 3:00 p.m.)
Note: Students taking any 20‐lesson per week course and who are requesting an I‐20 for a student visa will also need to take either an Afternoon Elective or attend a 1.5 hour Study Hall session each week in order to meet the 18‐hour per week minimum requirement for the student visa. One lesson = 50 minutes. For more information about U.S. visas, please read the student visa information here or contact us directly using the online inquiry form.